Sunday, April 20, 2008

Culinary Experiences

Well, today was a day of new culinary experiences for me, and boy were they good! For breakfast, I made a traditional Dutch pancake (Pannoekens) for the first time- the first half of the batch didn't look so hot, but by the end I had it down to a fine science. Top it with fresh fruit/jelly and/or maple syrup, and it is absolutely delicious. Powdered sugar would probably be good too, but I didn't try it. Recipe below. For supper, we had Dak Galbi, a Korean dish that was good and spicy. The spice reminded me of curry, but it definitely wasn't. I'm not even sure I want to try on the recipe, since a friend made it and I was just in charge of the vegetables. We also tried roasted garlic for the first time, and there's an addiction waiting to happen!

Here's the Pannoeken recipe (think Crepes, but with a higher egg content): EDIT: SEE ABOVE POST FOR CORRECT RECIPE, THIS ONE IS INCORRECT
1/2 cup flour
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar

Beat eggs, then beat in milk and sugar. Slowly, but with a fast whisk, add the flour. Heat a pan to medium high heat (small skillets are good, because this stuff spreads), although a grill works. Using butter or cooking spray with a high smoke point, ready the pan, then place 1/4-1/2 cup in the skillet (you want a very thin covering, not more than 3/8 inch thick). Cook until top is no longer spreading, then flip.

Ways to further the enjoyment: add vanilla flavoring. Add cinnamon. Top with fruit syrup/compote. Use a berry jelly or maple syrup. Walnuts or almonds would be good on top. Etc. Note the high protein to carb content, which is much better than regular pancakes, but it takes a bit to get the hang of how thick to make the Pannoeken. There's a wonderful buttermilk taste to them, even though there is no buttermilk in them.

1 comment:

Ripx180 said...

very cool :) I always love a new recipe. I will have to try this one. I actually prefer a more crape style pancake in comparison to a big ole fluffy fatty.