Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thinking

I said something to someone at the gym today that pretty much just clicked with me, probably because all I had to do was read two words off the Fit Yummy Mummy blog: past the halfway point. What I said was, while watching the tv show 'You Are What You Eat' on BBC America, was this: "The people who are on this show start off pissing and moaning, often quite rebellious, and the first four weeks for them are extremely tough. However, they stick with it, and then at the end of the 8 weeks, they are soooooo grateful to Gillian (McKeefe) for what she has done for them. The interesting thing too is that they always lose all of the weight in the second 4 weeks."

So, the halfway point. Most people give up by then because they either are a) uncomfortable with their new plan or b) aren't seeing the results they were expecting. And then, those who push past that halfway point just find that the weight literally falls off overnight, and they look wonderful at the date they had set. So the point for me is: Do what I'm doing, keep doing it for the next 3 weeks, and then, push past it. Continue doing what I'm doing (and perhaps tweak it a little bit to make it just that much better) for the next 3 weeks after that. And then, amazingly, I'll likely see my goal. So simple. How easy? We'll see.

I've got the Girl Power Challenge to back me up on this one, and I'm thinking the biggest push is going to have to come mid-April, after 3 weeks of doing well in the first place. Build the foundation, so to speak, before building the house. And dammit, that house is going to be built!

I finished off today strong, because I thought about what Melissa had said about the accountability of posting meals. Believe me, I reeeeeeeeally wanted to attack the chocolate after supper. It didn't help that my daughter was first asking for chocolate milk, and then found her chocolate bunny and broke that open, and asking me if I wanted any. Well of course I wanted some! However, I thought about the blog and realized I'd have to post it. I've had such a good day today that i really didn't want to bust it. I'm in fat-burning mode right now, not maintenance mode, and I have got to get my brain to realize this. It's mad at me of course, but I've made a compromise: I made some of that yummy Banana Protein Ice Cream that I blogged about awhile ago (2 medium bananas, frozen, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, and 2 tbsp of fat free whipped topping, mix in blender and put in freezer for 20 minutes or overnight. Right before eating, put 1 tsp of chocolate syrup on it)(Edit: This recipe makes two servings! You can also top with another 2 tbsp of whipped topping prior to eating). I believe I'm now looking forward to that more than the chocolate.

So the finished meals for today:
Supper: Spaghetti made with garlic, onions, and tomato sauce; lettuce salad w/ 1 tbsp ranch; 1/2 cup broccoli; 1 Whole Wheat dinner roll w/ a tiny bit of butter
Evening snack: Banana Protein Ice Cream

I was also going to post my recipe for Flaxseed Whole Wheat Pancakes earlier and ran out of time, so here it is:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs or 4 egg whites, well-beat
1 1/4 cups milk (I used 1 cup with this last recipe, and the batter wasn't quite so runny)
1 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp flaxseed
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Beat the eggs well, use a mixer if you want them to be really fluffy. In a separate bowl, add flour, flaxseed, soda, powder, salt, and brown sugar. When the eggs are ready, mix them along with the honey, canola oil, and milk into the flour bowl. Fry on griddle or in pan. Top with berry compote (recipe below) or fresh fruit and/or sugar-free syrup. Enjoy!

Berry compote
My favorite is blueberry, but strawberry works okay too. This will serve 4 people easily.

1/2 to one cup blueberries
1/2 to 1 tsp brown sugar
Small amount of water (less if the berries are frozen)

In small saucepan, heat the water to boiling and add sugar, stir until it dissolves. Add blueberries and heat, boiling off as much of the liquid as possible. When the spoon starts to develop a color on it that doesn't drip off, it's pretty much ready. The less water you use, the less the blueberries have to cook.

Healthy, fibrous, and yummy. If you have leftover pancakes, freeze them in a baggie and you can re-heat them in the toaster at another time. Don't eat too many pancakes! *grin*

Also, if you haven't yet done so, please read the post below and consider giving to the cause. I for one believe it worthy, and I ordered my copy of Gourmet Nutrition earlier today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You touched on the two things that are really proving to be key in my own health and weight loss journey, Carrie.

Food tracking and aiming for goals. Both are so vital for me.

Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

That halfway point - where ever it is - is a bitch to get past. But when you do cross over, and you're in a different mindset, it's so worth it. Keep pushing. You'll get there.