Wednesday, December 5, 2007

And, after everything,,,

Skip down if you want, as this is a rant and not real positive, and it may not make any sense:

And, after everything yesterday, There's nothing. I didn't have a great day today, but it had nothing to do with the challenge, my workout, or my eating habits. Ech. The one thing about the holidays is that too many people end up doing too many things, and then clients start dropping on me like flies. I've got this thing I do when clients quit- I mope. It's probably because I still haven't learned how to detach myself emotionally from it, and more likely because I want everyone to succeed and they don't perceive that they've even made any progress, so it's kinda a self-esteem blow. Current drop client said it kinda like a relationship breakup: "It's not you, it's me." Yeah, but how can one who's invested so much time into you not feel like you're being dumped?

So, note to others who want to go into the personal training business: watch out for those people who want miracles, for you to do all the work, and for them not to take a single piece of advice and homework home. (Wasting my time and theirs, as well as their money, and then the trainer gets blamed. Even Alwyn blames the trainers: "If your clients don't listen to you, then your advice is crap." Oh Jeez. Can't I find some role models who don't treat their prodigy like the scum of the earth? Sorry. I shouldn't say that in a public blog post.) I may start screening my clients a little more. A contract is definitely in the works, something along the lines of: "I understand that my personal trainer is not a magician who can whisk away the pounds without any effort on my part. In fact, I, ____________, will be doing 98% of the work. My trainer is only here to support, teach, and run me through my workouts. I'm the one who needs to control what I put in my mouth, make sure I'm working out with intensity, and get myself into the gym on days when I am not meeting with said trainer. I have stated my goals to my trainer, and s/he will do his/her best to help me meet them. I understand that I am the one responsible for my goals, not the trainer." Think I should have something along those lines? I think it would help weed out the people who promise me they're in for the haul and then back out two months in, or one month in, just because they didn't listen when I told them to do their homework or didn't get into the gym on their non-trainer days, and so don't make the progress they want to (and believe me, many expect that weight gone yesterday).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. Rant over. I'm going positive now, because I've moped long enough!

Positive thoughts:
  • I'm excited for the 12 Days of Christmas extravaganza that's going to happen. If you haven't signed up yet, please go and do so now- it's quick and easy, and how many people can say they got 250 free gifts for Christmas?
  • I'm still excited about the scale showing 144.5 yesterday.
  • The Turbulence Training Hardcore Fat Loss workout is a killer. 20 deadlifts yesterday made my legs sore. I'm glad I got my workout done this morning, or I may have seized up and not been able to move the rest of the day. However, today's workout was no easier. It calls for a bodyweight circuit that included 60 jumping jacks and 10 burpees (I changed burpees to mountain climbers, as my knee was scaring me and I never land right to go into the thrust position).
  • The electricity was really wacked out this morning, continuing to flicker on and off. I don't know if that was a positive thing, but it certainly changed things up for me- I had to workout by natural light.

Anyway, I hope you skipped the rant and aren't feeling all screwed up now. If you are feeling screwed up, I apologize. Go and read something positive about 30 odd times and that should help! *grin*

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oooo I signed up for the 12 days for Christmas. Thanks!

I did read the rant. How could we not when you said to skip. lol I can only imagine how frustrating that is!