Saturday, October 25, 2008

Back to the Blogging Board

I realize my blogs have been pretty nonexistent lately. It's how a lot of my life has felt, as I've been working hard to adjust to the new city, new job, living with my husband full-time, etc. It's not something that comes up often in social weight-loss circles, but it needs to be dealt with:

CHANGE.

It happens. Whether it's a new job, the loss of a current one, the birth of a child, or whatever. People talk about change all the time - about how we want it, because we're sick of where we're at currently - but when it actually happens, we kick and scream like a toddler denied her favorite treat.

It's one of my theories as to why so few people actually succeed at beginning weight loss. To be unhappy with where you're at is one thing; to change enough of the habits that got you to where you're at is another. Kick and scream all the way to the fast-food joint.

However, when in the weight-loss portion or even while maintaining, change can really screw with the results of that too. When we experience change, we may want to go back to something familiar and comfortable. For me, that something comfortable was just to spend as much time with my family as possible (and of course, eating with them- and my husband eats a lot, something I hadn't needed to deal with when we were living apart during the week).

Part of that means I've been lucky to get in two workouts a week. My eating also had a pretty big downhill slide for a while, but it's been getting back under control. I think it's because I'm starting to get used to the changes that happened. I don't need as much of the comfort as I needed before, and I can "strike out" on my own again. So I am starting to feel more like "my old self" or at least, the self I was prior to the big move.

It could also be that my husband went on a business trip this week, so it really does feel like it did before.

However, my point is that when change happens, you've got to do what works until you get used to your new life. Maintain what you can. But also, accept the change as positive and good, because something amazing will come of it. And then see how you can move forward with it.

I'm finally back to the point where I can move forward again, and boy am I glad of that. I didn't like going backward.

No comments: