Friday, December 11, 2009

Huge-Ass Support

As a trainer, I find myself giving support out to others all the time. However, I rarely take in any support for myself when I have fat loss goals. I do that to a lot of other areas of my life as well, so it's obviously a common theme with me.

So, I've gotten to a point where I realize I really need support. And I mean REALLY. I keep taking steps, but I don't do them with any consistency. I let other things get in the way- teaching, getting projects done, etc. I HAVEN'T been following my own advice: eating properly, exercising daily. The fat loss that was starting a few weeks ago has stalled, and I know it's my own fault.

I have a hard time approaching others for help, and am more likely to give it out than let myself receive it in return.

HOWEVER. It is time for me to ask for help. Whether it's this blog, or hiring a trainer, following the Warp Speed Fat Loss program to the letter, following the Precision Nutrition to the letter, or just designing something myself and having someone check in with me daily/weekly that I've got something invested in, what have you.

A couple years ago the FAT Coalition did a month-long contest where everyone contributed $10 and the person who had the best results won the pot. It didn't quite end on the best terms, but it was helpful for me to push myself during the Christmas season.

Right now my ball keeps starting and stopping, or at the very least, rolling VERY slowly. I don't like it and am ready to change that.

So what am I saying? I don't know. I want help, but I'm stubborn, always thinking I can do it on my own. Not the best team player.

But if you haven't noticed, this blog has basically died, and with it the hopes of attaining 147 lb by Christmas. That's a pity party I know. I need to get off my high horse and take real, consistent, designed action. Otherwise, nothing's going to happen.

Anyway, if anyone is still reading this, I had an idea. Google Wave is awesome. It's more than awesome, it's amazing. And its support capabilities are endless. Think IM, blog, email, social media, all wrapped into one. If you've used it already you're likely as excited about it as I am. If not, get an invite and get on then look me up (carrie DOT moritz AT googlewave DOT com). I think a Google Wave support group would be awesome. Hold each other accountable. Give updates. Of course, that requires us to take action and be accountable. It's a lot easier to ignore email/blogs than it is to ignore the person in the grocery store who you attend support group with. AA for weight lossers who are off the bandwagon and somewhere back there on the road, maybe.

So here's what I propose: I am looking for a group of 5-8 people, and we're going to get TIGHT. We are going to line up goals and rewards. We're going to Wave on a daily basis. We are going to hold each other accountable- through phone, email, GoogleWave, etc. We're going to form a circle and we won't let each other go. We are going to get together for six months- no more, no less. It's going to start January 1, 2010 officially, but will start to ramp up before that. In those six months, we are going to do what it takes to once and for all reach our goals. Boom. Done. Just like that. We'll encounter obstacles and face them together. We'll work out together if need be (virtually, of course). I'll ask for help, and if I stop asking for help and start giving advice that I'm not following, you'll be able to kick me in the pants. I'll set something up where maybe I have to give you lots of money if I don't accomplish my goal, although that might backfire if you get greedy ;)

So let me know ASAP if you want to be part of this group. I'm opening it up to more than just the FAT Coalition folks.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so in.

See my blog here: http://www.amyconstantinekline.wordpress.com. I'm up about 15 lbs over my goal weight and want / need to get this off before I lose my mind. Let's get it done.

Carrie said...

Amy,
That's awesome, nice to meet you! Are you one Google Wave yet?

Ripx180 said...

Hey Carrie looks interesting and I am still reading. I will have to check out the google wave thing.

Carrie said...

Ripx,
Glad to see you're still reading! The Google Wave thing is def. interesting. I'm willing to give out my (few) invitations to the people who want to do the New Year's challenge with me.

Dave said...

I am still reading, and you sound just like me. I am in also.

I am not on Google Wave yet, I requested an invitation, but haven't heard yet.

This may be just what I need though...