Monday, February 23, 2009

The Kettlebell Experience

Hey!

I've been working overtime lately, trying to get over the biggest case of writer's block that I've ever experienced. That's not good, esp. for someone who writes as much as I do- whether it's work or play, I'm generally writing something. So, what better idea to get over writer's block than to write? And hey, I have this blog, that I pledged to write in everyday about 4 weeks ago, that I've only posted in twice! *cough* Yeah. So here I am, writing- whether it's any good, makes any sense, or whether I've even done anything for myself today. No promises, just a goal. I only have about 15 million of them.

No. 1 on the list: get back into shape
No. 2: get diet back into working order (right now, it's fine, but not great, and I want to improve it)
No. 3: finish reading the Sedona Method (seriously, if you haven't picked it up yet, start chewing on it)
No. 4: Accomplish some of those work goals (at which there is a whole 'nother list)
No. 5: Write something. Anything. Seriously.
No. 6: Sew that blanket for my sister. Follow those up with Barbie clothes for daughter.
No. 7: Take a half hour for myself and journal, or do something non-productive
No. 8: Figure out where I need to save my money towards over the next year
No. 9: Figure out what we're going to do with this summer (need nanny who's willing to do full-time for about $1000 or less, room/board included, live at camp! Know anyone?)
No. 10: The list goes on...

So anyway, I'm starting to get back into the rhythm of working out again. I believe I may have to write something about how hard getting going can be. Lots of stops and starts, false hopes and promises. Didn't help that I actually HATED my gym. Literally. Ew. Talk about creating any excuse under the sun so I didn't have to go. And ME, hating the gym, means it must've been literally the worst gym possible to pick.

I've been working on getting into the routine of working out at home. I bought those lovely kettlebells a little over a year ago, and I'm finally putting them to some regular use. Right now, I'm using the "Iron Core" DVD from GoFit, which is actually a pretty good little vid and workout. I know I've gotten nauseous from using it, which means it's working my anaerobic system pretty good (and I need it too). I'm also supplementing with the Wii Fit. And I downloaded this great little workout music sample from Workout Muse that has Tabata countdowns (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeat 8 times for a 4-minute workout that might make you worship the throne afterward). I've also got a Taebo DVD that I might do one of these days, just to keep myself entertained. I figure in a week or two I'll be bored enough to actually do a workout that I've designed, or a Turbulence Training bodyweight workout. Right now, I'm just working on getting something going and keeping it going. If staring at the tv helps, I'm all for it. It's better than getting distracted by the antics of my daughter, who does almost everything in her power to get the attention she thinks she so richly deserves.

About my daughter: she also loves using the kettlebells ("kettleball"). I've got a 10 lb bell that is a bit too much for her (I'd prefer she had a 3 lb or 5 lb, she only weighs 40 lbs herself!), but she thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread to change into her "workout clothes" and do swings with me. After that, though, she generally loses interest, and spends the next 30-40 minutes running around me, standing right in front of me, putting blankets on the floor next to me, or whatever she can possibly think of. Oy. Not as bad as the vid I saw just a few minutes ago, though! Oh my! (Mommy is doing Yoga, and in the middle of it, baby crawls up to her and pulls down her shirt and begins to nurse!) Of course I now cannot remember where I saw it, and can't find it...

So, that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. Scale hated me again today. 166 even (+1.1 pounds from last week). It makes me hate the Wii Fit- whenever you gain weight, it makes you choose a reason. The one I had wasn't on the list: I was wearing my tennis shoes, when generally I don't have any shoes on. Those weigh 1.1 pound, right? I was too lazy to take them off and re-weigh. So, bad news: scale didn't go anywhere. Good news: scale didn't go anywhere. Better to not lose than to gain.

No comments: